I feel it’s important to start this sacred blog out with the TRUE Mrt. Yes, “Mrt.” Her name is really “Merla,” but I think she got tired of writing five letters, so she shortened it. Plus, how many people can say they have no vowels in their name. This photo is here just so my Tennessee friends understand why I am the way I am.
Let me make an account of some of her many attributes:
- Wife for over 50 years…TO THE SAME GUY
- Mom to three kids…the oldest being her favorite, I’m sure
- Gifted with hospitality (and if they couldn’t get to our house, she brought them food)
- People lover…someone always in our home
- Devoted to Jesus…she and my dad still host a bi-weekly Bible study
- Master craft-woman…seriously! She can knit, crochet, or quilt ANYTHING
One October, mom asked me what I wanted for Christmas. JOKINGLY I said, well you’ve never made me a crocheted table cloth. I would love that. . . NEXT Christmas. She had it finished that same year!
Last Christmas, she found a scarf pattern in late October that she liked and decided she was going to make them for all the females (EIGHT of us) in the family…and finished them before Christmas!
So, mom, thank you for ALL that you’ve taught us…from caring for people to creating for people. We love you and are so thankful that God chose you to be our mom.