Books and movies have given our family some standard “lines” that we use on each other. For example, when Jamie Lee Curtis (in the movie, “Freaky Friday”) drops her high school daughter off at school in the mornings, she yells, “MAKE GOOD CHOICES, HONEY!” to the daughter’s utter embarrassment. I love the “utter embarrassment” part.
Though I joke about making good choices, it is a pretty serious thing. I see bad choices being made on a daily basis now that I’m back in college full time, and am reminded of my OWN bad choices. And unfortunately, life is not fair. One person can make a bad choice and it’s a little set-back, while someone else can make the same bad choice and it ruins their life.
We make bad choices in many areas, but one area that I see repeatedly with long-lasting effects is relationships.
- Location, location, location. You thought that term was just related to buying a house. Choose honor’s classes whenever you can in high school and college. Hanging out with smart people really does make you smarter.
- Healthy Living. If you want to exercise more or learn to eat right, hang out with healthy people. I have surrounded myself with people who eat right (most of the time) and like physical activity. Therefore, they push me to go for a run or a walk when I’d actually rather sit on the couch and watch a chick flick.
- Like-Minded Friends. There are rare occurrences, like the Twilight series, when TRUE opposites can attract, but I think you will have more joy and less stress if you choose friends who are like-minded. You CAN swim upstream, but it will take a lot more work.
- Homeostasis is good. Life does NOT have to look like the movie version, nor does it have to look like a country western song. “Back to ‘normal’ state” is how a guy in my Motivation & Emotion class worded the experience of coming down off a Honeymoon high.
- Enjoy yourself. The older I get, the more I enjoy quiet time on my own.